People are more important
08 January 2019
Malta, 8 January – We are appalled beyond words that, after 18 days of negotiations, 49 men, women and children remain stuck on a boat within sight of the Maltese shore.
In spite of countless calls for solidarity, European Member States have not managed to find a diplomatic solution to the current impasse.
This is nothing short of tragic and shameful. It can only mean that we have completely lost our humanity – as a people and a union of states that supposedly upholds the values of solidarity, respect for human rights and human dignity.
We acknowledge the complex issues this situation raises, and agree that it is a European challenge requiring a European solution. However, this cannot be an excuse to abdicate our own responsibility, as individuals and as a nation, to save lives at any cost. The duty to save lives is not only a legal but also a moral imperative which can never be subjected to political conditions, such as the availability of concrete offers of relocation or the fear of creating a precedent.
At this point, the question we must answer is simple: what is more important, scoring political points, or saving lives?
For us, the undersigned organisations, there can be only one answer: people are more important.
Today we are here to take a stand for life and dignity. We call on Malta to prioritize life and open its doors today.
This statement is being issued by:
1. aditus foundation
2. African Media Association Malta
3. agara foundation
4. Allied Rainbow Communities
5. Catholic Voices
6. Christian Life Community (CLC) Malta
7. Department of Gender Studies, University of Malta
8. Department for Inclusion and Access to Learning, University of Malta
9. Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of Malta
10. Department of Youth and Community Studies, University of Malta
11. Drachma LGBT
12. Fondazzjoni Ejjew Ghandi
13. Integra Foundation
14. International Association for Refugees
15. Isles of the Left
16. Jesuit Refugee Service Malta
18. Kummissjoni Gustizzja u Paci
19. Kunsill Studenti Universitarji
20. LGBTI+ Gozo
21. Malta Catholic Youth Network
22. Malta Emigrants’ Commission
23. Malta LGBTIQ Rights Movement
24. Maltese Association of Social Workers (MASW)
25. Moviment Graffiti
26. Migrants Women’s Association Malta (MWAM)
27. Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Social Wellbeing, University of Malta
28. Paulo Freire Institute
29. Platform of Human Rights Organisations in Malta
30. Richmond Foundation
31. Salesians of Don Bosco
32. Segretarjat Assistenza Socjali tal-Azzjoni Kattolika Malta
33. Society of Jesus in Malta
34. Solidarity with Migrants Group
35. SOS Malta
36. Spark 15
37. St Jeanne Antide Foundation
38. Studenti Harsien Socjali (SHS)
39. The Critical Institute
40. Women’s Rights Foundation
41. Caritas Malta
42. Allejanza kontra il-Faqar
43. Drachma Parents
44. Malta Chamber of Psychologists
45. University of Malta Chaplaincy